March 7, 2019. Washington DC, US State Department. Secretary Mike Pompeo hosted the Annual International Women of Courage (IWOC) Awards to honor 10 extraordinary women from around the world. First Lady Melania Trump delivered special remarks at the ceremony.
IWOC Awards, established in 2007 by the US State Department, recognize women around the globe who have demonstrated exceptional courage and leadership in advocating for peace, justice, human rights, gender equality, and women’s empowerment, often at great personal risk and sacrifice. U.S. diplomatic missions overseas nominate one woman of courage from their respective host countries. The finalists are selected and approved by senior Department officials.
The bios of the 2019 awardees are located here and their names are listed below:
- Razia Sultana of Bangladesh
- Naw K’nyaw Paw of Burma
- Moumina Houssein Darar of Djibouti
- Mama Maggie of Egypt
- Colonel Khalida Khalaf Hanna al-Twal of Jordan
- Sister Orla Treacy of Ireland
- Olivera Lakic of Montenegro
- Flor de Maria Vega Zapata of Peru
- Marini de Livera of Sri Lanka
- Anna Aloys Henga of Tanzania
Photos, video and source of information – U.S. State Department